Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The best place on earth

I have lived here in Cincinnati for two semesters now, and there is a notion I have noticed about most of the people who live here. Everyone around has a firm belief that the United States is the best place in the entire world to live, work, and play. It is a conviction that is readily accepted without argument. But if you think about, I believe truth would say differently. I think truth would show you that the best place for anyone......is another place entirely. Let me propose to you a land filled with warmth and sunshine, a place that has bright smiles and friendly faces, and a country with a deep culture of heritage and beauty. I'm talking about a place some might mistake for paradise.

Its name is Mexico.

If you’re moving your mouse toward the exit button now because you think I couldn't possibly be right, just hold on. Take a good look at Mexico's beauty. It won't be hard :). Most people look at the coastline, and rightfully so. Some of the world's most beautiful beaches are found there. I'll talk about that in a minute. But first, you should look at it's mountains. The Rocky Mountains don't stop at the border you know. The chain runs all the way through the country, and gives those who view it one of the most spectacular views in the world. Its magnitude and strength are formidable, and to live there is to a part of earth's greatest beauty. It will match anything United States has to offer in Mountain Living.

If we left it there, there would be no superiority for either nation in beauty. But to move just a little farther down will take a person to the paradise I mentioned earlier. The beaches of Mexico can simply not be argued with. American's spend millions of dollars every year to visit them; tens of millions of dollars more than they spend on their own beaches. Why? Because there is nothing like it anywhere. So is the mountains are equal to what Colorado has to offer, and cannot beaches cannot be rivaled, is the answer to which country is more beautiful not obvious?

While there are so many reasons I could offer you to show why Mexico might be better, I only have time for one more. And really, it is a pretty good one. The most wonderful, beautiful, and warm thing that could ever be a reflection of this country, is it's people. A love for family, a humble spirit, and an overall appreciation for the gift of life are values that have been stamped on the lives of the Mexican people for centuries. They are values that they hold dear, even in a ever-growing global culture of shifting principles and relative morals.

Many reading this might like to point out that they know many people who lead good, decent, and honorable lives. And these people live right here in America! But could it be that most of these same people are those who have accepted the tenets of the Christian life, and are trying to walk close to God? Because if that is true, then you would only be looking at a small segment of your country.

The values I spoke of in relation to my people are values that are held by the masses, not just a select group of Christian adherents. They are engrained into the fabric of out culture and lifestyle. There are exceptions. Sin prevails in several areas. But like I said, to taking a majority of the population would still give you strong representation for a lifestyle of beauty.

Many might look at this article as try to point out inconsistencies in Mexico's past, and a lot of people who harbor a bias will probably try. But if you really think about it, if you really have an open mind toward this, I think you will probably came to the same conclusion-that Mexico, is paradise.

No comments: