When I first came to college there were several things that I had to adjust and still I’m adjusting. Culture, food and people were some of them. Things I had never expected could become a matter of life and death became very important. I was aware of the fact that I didn’t know everything important about life, but I was not prepared for the shock that came upon me once I realize my priorities had changed. And today I will like to share with you some of my new knowledge...
Even thou I always thought they were cool, it wasn’t until I came here that quarters are like gold. I also found out that I began to subdivide my room into sections such as kitchen, library, etc. to make it sound like a house. Flip-flops become as important as soap, shampoo, and that stuff. Another thing I discovered was that it was never this bad when I got sick before. Talking about keys, they have never been so important, yet I seem to lose them more than ever before. I don’t learn last names and even have a hard time with names.
I had never had the best technology history, but now, printers only break down when I desperately need them.
Talking sleeping wise, it became a lot more important, 10 minutes is more than enough time to get ready for my first class when needed it, specially if it at 7 o clock . I have learned to sleep with light, noise, extreme temps, and roommates snoring (I’m not talking about my sister). It amazes me how late I can stay up doing absolutely nothing, yet falling
asleep in class or in the library takes an average of two seconds. Asleep by 12:30 is an early night. Nap becomes a priority and making sure that I have at least one or two alarm clocks and that they are set up to AM not PM.
Now, in matter of food, cereal makes a meal any time of day, and I learned another way to use my creativity is in the dining hall. Pop a vitamin and breakfast is covered, and two meals a day are standard. And last, eating food at 1 am is a common event.
In interaction with other people, I have learn very interesting things, such as I never thought I would share so much about myself with people I have known for such a short time. It hadn’t cross my mind that board games could lasted for hours and they are much more fun if played with friends. I never realize so many people are smarter than me, and how cool I can be. Thinking about home, I never recognize how quiet my house is, and how I get alone better with my family now that I don’t see any of them.
The other day I found myself getting good at rationalizing on whether to do homework or not, and that classes, the later the better. Even thou that’s what my main priority should be and the main reason why I came here in the fist place.
Giving a lot of thought to all these things has brought me to a deep conclusion…MY LIFE WILL NEVER BE THE SAME!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
wow! i couldn't have said it better myself!
True story. You seem to be the quiet type though, you know? total opposite from me. Yet really, I see that you are so much happier with the fact that hard relational times haven't falled you. Just wait, college will kick you in the face when you get into a confrontation. Hopefully you never know. the quarters won't seem so harsh then.
Wow! you totally described my life right now! :)
Post a Comment